Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Xmas Haul

Another snowstorm and a work overload have kept me from posting a thing this week. I did want to take a moment to share the titles I received this Christmas.

I always ask for (and receive) these short story collections: 2007 Pushcart Prize XXXI: Best of the Small Presses, which includes everyone from W.S. Merwin to Kate Braverman; Best American Short Stories 2006, which includes Thomas McGuane and of course Alice Munro; The 2006 O. Henry Prize Stories (though this one I had to buy myself--with a gift card).

Then I received a couple books on craft: Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell and The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman, as well as the No Plot? No Problem Novel Writing Kit which is, if nothing else, novel.

Then under the tree was The View From Castle Rock by Alice Munro, and with the remaining amount on the gift card I bought from the bargain section at Tattered Cover Things You Should Know by A.M. Homes, and High Lonesome: Selected Stories 1966-2006 by Joyce Carol Oates.

Now, it's a lot of books, I know, but I will make the pledge this year that I will read everyone and not just pick and choose my way through these short story collections.

So, what books did you get or give this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment