Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Summer Reading of our Sec. of Ed.

Now, I have to admit that I went to the NPR story on the Secretary of Education's summer reading choices looking to make fun of her. As the picture above exemplifies, Bush has the hots for Sec. Spellings and I suppose I should have remembered that he likes 'em smarter than him. Look at Laura. Of course that's not really asking too much.
So, I expected fully chick-lit or plot-driving, substance-deprived thrillers, instead she smartly identified books being read in many book clubs this summer: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. And she gets extra points for also including The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich.
It turns out she might be a little better than the last education secretary who called teachers' unions terrorists. I'll just have to save my ridicule for the other hundred incompetent people that surround our President.

No comments:

Post a Comment