Sunday, November 09, 2008

How does it sound? President-Elect Obama

On November 4, 2008, Barack Obama was elected as the next President of the United States. I am, of course, pleased that the man I backed from the beginning actually won the election (that hasn't happened in many, many years), but while watching him come out to deliver his victory speech I was proud of our country. Much has been made in the last few days about the significance of his race, but it does say something to me personally about who we are that the majority of us voted for him. During the primaries, realizing that I really like Obama, I thought to myself that he never had a chance. "He's a black guy with a funny name; what chance does he have?" Yet, here we are.

I could talk too about what this means politically, what it tells me, but there are a hundred journalists out there slicing up the data and making pronouncements about the state of the country. It is different, for me, to feel that a majority of people have come around to my point of view.

And what a weight is lifted, having the election behind us. I didn't realize how much stress the whole thing was causing. Now we get to get on to real policy issues, the meat of the matter. This, really, is what I like. I could even go on about the decision Obama has made in the last few days and the implication of them, but there are others out there, who watch this even closer than I do, who could do a better job of it. All I should say here is that I'm pleased and proud about how the whole thing has worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment