Sunday, June 27, 2010

Book Review: Last Night


Last Night by James Salter
Sometimes there is nothing quite as liberating as a really good short story collection. The story devoured in one sitting. The new engagement every time you open the cover. Salter's Last Night is an excellent collection. The stories are easy, casual, yet transporting. The writing is so simple and traditional, you'd think it was written in the sixties. References to cell phones and the like were a little jarring.
I also love stumbling on a story I've read before in a collection, especially a story like "Last Night" that is particularly memorable. It is definitely one of those that deserve to be anthologized and studied.
I'd read Salter's A Sport and A Pastime awhile ago and quite enjoyed it. Upon completion I promptly went to the bookstore to see what else I could find by him. I found this collection in the bargain section and picked it up without a moment's contemplation. It took me this long to get around to reading it, but I will be back to the book store looking for more Salter shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi , Today i was checking the Google adsence waiting list account and i see your blog name there. when i serach our blog i find that its very good quality data you have there, but it is my surprise that why users not coming to your blog , and to more disappoint i didnt see you getting more click's on gogle Advertisments. after seeing all this i cant stop myself from advicing this, my friend i want to tell you to get a good traffic and good clicks on your blog , this way you can earn much good money, check out this site http://kosmoclub.webs.com/home.html and join them if you like, and dont worry about anthing , its 100% trusted site, our 23% of user use it to get clicks and traffic on there site. i hope this site help you to earn minimum of 250$ every mont ( its my promise) and you can trust me .....
    Admin (googIe team)

    msg by helpdeskgogie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete