Friday, January 13, 2012

20 Essential Albums: Introduction

There are great albums. There are influential albums. There are also albums that make us who we are. These are the albums we wouldn’t give up, that we continue to play, and that hold up over the years. These albums that, when heard in the right mood, one can recall a pivotal event or some small memory that is emblematic of the time in which it came into your life.

These are my essential albums. Or at least twenty of them. It is no easy task, to identify just the twenty albums that have made the difference. And how do I limit it to one album by artist over the whole list? Some titles on this list barely won out over rival albums by the same artist.

This is my list. From the albums listened to on weathered tape players carried around to a teenager or even albums played off vinyl by my mother when I was a child, to records discovered in my late twenties, when one stops expecting to be surprised by music anymore. Certainly there have been other albums from the last decade that are often in my rotation, but they have yet to stand the test of time.

These albums are the ones that have made all the difference to me. These are the albums that both reflect and made me who I am.

Over the next several weeks, I will post about each of them, starting with....

No comments:

Post a Comment