Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Changing parties to vote in primaries?

Colorado doesn't allow independent/unaffiliated voters to vote in party primaries. The only way for me to have a vote in today's election was to re-register. I have been an unaffiliated voter since I was allowed to vote. I never wanted a party to take me for granted and assume that they had my vote sealed up. I do not want to add to their numbers. Keeping independent numbers high means that candidates have to do more than pander to the base.
Let's change arbitrary primary rules. An unaffiliated voter should have the opportunity to choose which ballot, which party's primary to vote in. Otherwise a voter my have to change affiliation to vote--like I did.
I just might go tomorrow and become an independent again.

No comments:

Post a Comment