Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Book Review: Suttree

Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
I've never read a novel so beautiful and so ugly at the same time. The conditions and events we experience are of a truly pitiful sort, by McCarthy relates them in a way that makes it wonderful read. Like frost on a dog turd. Sure, I probably should have read the thing with a dictionary at the ready because the language is at times beyond reach. At times it is so lyric so poetic and abstract that I wasn't really sure what was taking place. It probably would have been better to read at a slower pace, but it was still completely immersive. I've been haunted by this book for weeks, afraid to read anything else because I'm not sure that any other book will live up to this one.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, this book is absolutely brilliant. There is a book that surpasses it though: Blood Meridian. Definintely worth checking out if you liked Suttree.

    ReplyDelete