Thursday, October 11, 2007

The National Book Award Nominees

The National Book Foundation:

FICTION
Mischa Berlinski, Fieldwork
Lydia Davis, Varieties of Disturbance
Joshua Ferris, Then We Came to the End
Denis Johnson, Tree of Smoke
Jim Shepard, Like You’d Understand, Anyway

Some out there don't seem too impressed with this list, but I think there is some admirable work here. In fact, I bought a bargain copy of Ferris's book this week and it sits on my desk awaiting my attention.

Oh, and what about nonfiction?

NONFICTION
Edwidge Danticat, Brother, I’m Dying
Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
Woody Holton, Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution
Arnold Rampersad, Ralph Ellison: A Biography
Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA

Yes, you read that right: Hitch. Oh, lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment