Friday, December 21, 2007

"... and take out all the good things I said about you."


Sometimes that New Yorker subscription actually proves worthwhile. This week it's the Raymond Carver special, with a Gordon Lish-free version of Carver's story "Beginners." And then they threw in a version with all the Lish edits (online only), an article on the relationship between writer and editor, and some correspondence between Lish and Carver, closing with this letter from Carver to Lish:
What’s the matter, don’t you love me anymore? I never hear from you. Have you forgotten me already? Well, I’m going back to the [Paris Review] interview and take out all the good things I said about you.
Maybe I'll actually get a chance to read all of this this weekend, and then I'll report back.

1 comment:

  1. Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

    ReplyDelete