Tuesday, June 10, 2008

And Another Book Sale


I made it back in time from by camping trip to go to "bag day" of my local library system's book sale, where a bag stuffed full of books costs you $5.00. Coming in on the last day of the sale pretty much guarantees that I missed most of the good books, the recently published books, but "bag day" means I can rationalize picking up books I might ignore if I had to pay more for them.

The trouble is that I have a hard time remembering what's in my own library anymore. There's a good chance that some of these books are already on my shelf. Here's what I brought home anyway:

Tomato Red - Daniel Woodrell
Situations - Jean-Paul Sartre
Rabbit Redux - John Updike
Rabbit at Rest - John Updike
The Road Home - Jim Harrison
Quarantine - Jim Crace
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth
Who Will Run the Frog Hospital - Lorrie Moore
Transmission - Hari Kunzru
Lucky Girls - Nell Freudenberger
A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
(1949 Bantam edition, on the back "Brutal...Terrific...Awesome...and Beautiful!")
Them - Joyce Carol Oates
Sometimes a Great Notion - Ken Kesey
The Reivers - William Faulkner
Grendel - John Gardner
Falconer - John Cheever
First Light - Charles Baxter
Rising from the Plains - John McPhee
Waiting for the Barbarians - JM Coetzee
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
The Sportswriter - Richard Ford
The Western Lands - William S. Burroughs
The Wild Boys - William S. Burroughs
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
Black Water - Joyce Carol Oates
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
Best American Essays of the Century - Edited by Joyce Carol Oates
A Manual for Writers - Kate Turabian
South of No North - Charles Bukowski

No comments:

Post a Comment