Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Book Review: The Sound and the Fury


The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner

Okay, how on Earth do I try and inject my opinion on this classic? And what if I didn't get much out of it?

I had put this one off for so long simply because I stumbled in those first pages, because of the difficult of Benjy's section. And this time I just plowed through, resorting to sparknotes to straighten out what I read. Quentin's sections were only somewhat more lucid, but I was looking for the motives to his future actions and the only answer I found seemed a little limited. Truthfully, I wasn't happy until I got to the omniscient third person. This is the Faulkner I like, but still it wasn't the Faulkner of If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem. I wanted the long, expansive, descriptive paragraphs. There was plenty of heartbreak here, plenty of tragedy and I was grateful for it.

While I'm happy to tick another classic off my to-read list, I wish I would have taken more away from the experience.

2 comments:

  1. so you would not recommend that novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would simply say that Faulkner has done work I like better.

    I can't recommed that someone NOT read an obvious classic.

    ReplyDelete