Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Is a story ever "done?"

I am afraid to read the stories in my MFA thesis. After spending so much effort on these stories, rewriting scenes, creating new endings, the end product was often much different than the earlier drafts. There was little time for reflection, though. I never had the chance to decide whether any particular change was the necessary one. I turned in the thesis and turned my back. Those stories were "done."

As I send out these stories now, I wonder if I should look back at them again. I'm afraid they'll let me down. I'm afraid that no matter the condition I'll find something to change. I think that any writer at any point can look back at a story and see room for improvement, even after publication. I don't think stories are ever really "done."

No comments:

Post a Comment