Friday, June 15, 2007

On Summer Reading

"I'm sorry, sir, but Dostoyevsky is not considered summer reading. I'll have to ask you to come with me."

While everyone is out there pushing summer reading lists that are full of fluff, easy reads, I wonder why we don't use these free summer days to read harder books. The rest of the year is full of other obligations, impending holidays, taxes due, and the like, so why not settle into the book you've put off? Say... Ulysses?

It seems to me it's a good time to sit out on the porch until the sun goes down while reading something a little challenging. So, tell me, who's up the challenge? what are you going to read?

Some suggestions:

The Brothers Karamazov
Moby Dick
Ulysses
Middlemarch
A Tale of Two Cities
Anna Karenina
Underworld
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Remembrance of Things Past

No comments:

Post a Comment