Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Where has it gone so wrong?

Today, I was exposed to the most disturbing thing I have ever seen (or heard). And I, like a lot of America, watched the events of 9/11 unfold before my eyes on live national TV. Today at work, someone streamed the video of the latest beheading in Iraq. I didn’t want to see it, but my desk faces in such a way, that all I needed to do was turn my head, and there it was. I have to admit, there was some gruesome fascination at first, but it quickly turned into complete horror. I turned my head away, but not before certain images were burned into my mind, and the sound is something that I pray to God I will never hear again. That is all the further I will go, because no one else should be subjected to this.

There were other people watching, some in horror, some in gripped fascination. I heard co-workers saying things like “We need to get Bush back in office, and just drop the bomb on the entire area.” I then stepped outside for some fresh air, because I was still reeling, and was physically and mentally hurting. While I was outside, thoughts came flooding into my mind.

First of all, a few years ago, there were a number of beheadings of homeless people here in Denver. It barely hit the news. Few people remember it happening, or had even heard about it. Without trying to sound callous, because any type of action like this is reprehensible, I want to try and understand why this one man’s life seemed so much more important than multiple lives in downtown Denver, when they were killed in the same way. One was committed by politically motivated extremists, who don’t seem to hold human life in high value, even their own. The other was committed by a person, or persons, who live in the same city as me, who could be walking down the street, saying hello, shaking my hand. I am suddenly terrified by people around me. How can we say we are better than them, when our actions disprove it every day? People are murdered, raped, and beaten in the most brutal ways right here in our own country, for no other reason than for possessions, stature, or for the simple pleasure of the act. At least those in Iraq had the motive of war, oppression, or any number of reasons, either imagined or real. I am not saying those in Iraq who committed this horrible act were justified; murder is murder, no matter where it takes place.

Second, what is wrong with us, that this type of video is entertainment? Are we so jaded in the U.S., that we can watch this type of thing, that we feel it is necessary to watch this type of thing? And what kind of person would even post this on their website? I have never been more disgusted with our society.

Third, when you vote in November, vote by issues, not by emotion. Do not let the image of innocent Americans, or innocents of any nationality, being murdered, make you vote in a certain way. Bush in office will not stop this from happening, and Kerry in office won’t make it happen. These are atrocities committed by people we do not understand; in a culture and a society most of us will never know. Putting Kerry in office will strengthen our international ties, and bring us allies in a time when we really need them. With true international understanding, we can start to make true change, help other nations understand us, and help us understand other nations. Only with this kind of unity will we truly defeat terrorism. It is said, “United we stand, divided we fall.” This has never been more true.

1 comment:

  1. The beheading is a horrible thing, and shame on your coworkers for watching it.
    What frustrates me is the attention the press gives to this brutality. I understand how horrible it is, but what these people want is for us to be shocked and horrified. To look at it honestly, it's simply more killing.
    When it comes the election, I believe it is very much a case of Head vs. Heart. Bush/Cheney is trying to convince us that we should be properly frightened and therefore vote for them. And they also try to tell us that using logic, looking at the facts, weighing a decision is weak leadership. I think following your gut is trumped by listening to reason.

    ReplyDelete