Friday, December 09, 2005

On Philip Roth

Hello, Columbus - New York Times

I finally got around to reading the NYT review of Roth's two Library of America editions (Philip Roth: Novels and Stories, 1959-1962 (Library of America), Philip Roth: Novels 1967-1972 (Library of America) ), and I have to say that I more interested than ever to read more work by Roth, particularly Portnoy's Complaint.

The only book by Roth that I've made it through yet has been American Pastoral, and I certainly enjoyed it. Never mind the semi-autobigraphical, first-person attributes that tend to bug me about quite a bit of modern fiction, it was a good book. An old dusty copy of Portnoy has sat on my shelf for some time because much of what I'd read about the book didn't help it appeal to me. This new review puts the book in a new light.

The reviewer, Gary Shteyngart, focuses greatly on cultural (Jewish) aspects, but he reveals Portnoy's longing in such a way that nearly made me get out of my chair and pull the book from my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment